October 22, 2017
News Latest News | Poll Questions | Haunted Maine | Bald Eagles | Medicaid Expansion

Smoking material cause of Thursday fire in Milo


Updated:

MILO, Maine — The fire that damaged a Daggett Street home Thursday was caused by the “careless disposal of smoking material,” according to an investigator with the State Fire Marshal’s Office.

The home, owned by Matt Demers, was being rented by Danielle Parker, who had four children under the age of 5 inside the building when the fire erupted. No one was injured in the fire.

Parker said she had finished smoking a cigarette on the porch steps and had gone inside the house when she smelled smoke, Investigator Scott Richardson of the fire marshal’s office said Friday. Parker called the fire department and then went outside with the children, he said. Richardson said the fire started under the steps.

The home was insured but Parker had no renter’s insurance, according to Richardson.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like