June 20, 2018
News Latest News | Poll Questions | Family Separations | Boston TV | LePage Troops

Guilford firefighters quickly stop cellar fire


GUILFORD, Maine — Local firefighters stopped a basement fire Monday before it had burned through the first floor of a Butter Street home believed to be owned by George Sprague Jr.

Neighbors told firefighters that one of the homeowners escaped through a window during the 5:30 a.m. fire, according to Guilford firefighter Gary Grant.

The unidentified woman, who was taken to Mayo Regional Hospital for smoke inhalation, was treated and later released.

The woman told firefighters she had heard a fire detector activate and found her only exit from the home was through a bedroom window, Investigator Scott Richardson of the State Fire Marshal’s Office said Monday. Richardson, who was called to determine the origin, said he could not rule out an electrical fire.

The fire will remain under investigation until he can meet with the homeowners, he said.

The Sangerville Fire Department assisted Guilford firefighters, while Dexter firefighters remained on standby at the Sangerville station. Dover-Foxcroft firefighters remained on standby at their station.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like