Jury clears man of abuse charges

Posted May 15, 2009, at 8:26 p.m.
Last modified Jan. 30, 2011, at 12:08 p.m.

ELLSWORTH, Maine — A jury in Hancock County Superior Court on Friday acquitted a Dedham man on charges that he molested a girl who once lived with him.

After deliberating part of Thursday and about 2½ hours Friday morning, the jury of eight women and six men found Raymond L. Currier, 56, not guilty on all counts. Currier had been charged with 20 counts of assault, unlawful sexual contact and unlawful sexual touching.

The charges stemmed from claims from the victim, now 16, who said the assaults took place in Hancock and Dedham between September 2002 and February 2006.

In opening statements, Hancock County Assistant District Attorney Mary Kellett said the alleged assaults had taken place while the victim and her mother were living with Currier. Kellett told the court the girl had lived in Louisiana with her mother and father until her biological father died in early 2001. Later her mother started dating Currier, whom she had known for years, and in 2002 the mother and daughter moved to Maine to live with Currier. Routine physical contact between Currier and the girl started out as roughhousing but over time it turned into improper contact on Currier’s part, Kellett argued.

Defense attorney Stephen Juskewitch of Ellsworth argued in his opening remarks Wednesday that the girl had fabricated the allegations in order to avoid punishment for misbehavior at home. Among the household rules the girl violated, according to Juskewitch, were taking money to school, stealing money from her mother and lying.

The girl was removed from Currier’s home after she told friends and school officials in Dedham about the alleged abuse.

The girl, who testified at the trial on Wednesday, has since been adopted by another family and no longer lives with Currier or her biological mother.

rhewitt@bangordailynews.net

667-9394

Similar articles:

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business