Limestone teen pleads not guilty in daughter’s death

By Jen Lynds, BDN Staff
Posted May 14, 2009, at 4:09 p.m.

CARIBOU, Maine – A Limestone teenager on Thursday afternoon pleaded not guilty to a charge of manslaughter stemming from the death of his 3-month-old daughter late last month.

Nicklas Jones, 17, appeared in Caribou District Court with his attorney, Anthony Trask of Presque Isle, for the brief hearing before Judge Ronald Daigle.

Jones is charged in the death of Joselyn Jones, who died April 27 at Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor from injuries she reportedly received four days earlier. State Police said the baby died from blunt force trauma to the head. They allege that her father threw the baby into her crib to stop her from crying.

It is not clear at this point whether Jones will stand trial as a juvenile or an adult. Assistant Attorney General Andrew Benson said after the proceedings that the state has filed a motion for a diagnostic evaluation to determine in which manner he will be tried.

If he stands trial as a juvenile, the hearing will begin on Aug. 27.

At the Thursday hearing, Jones told the judge that he understood his rights but said nothing else.

Jones was arrested May 1 and is being held at the Mountain View Correctional Facility in Charleston.

http://bangordailynews.com/2009/05/14/news/limestone-teen-pleads-not-guilty-in-daughters-death/ printed on July 24, 2014