May 27, 2018
Court News Latest News | Poll Questions | Memorial Day | Bangor Day Trips | Center for Wildlife

Washington County grand jury indicts man, 19, in break-ins

By Diana Graettinger

MACHIAS, Maine — The Washington County grand jury indicted a Pleasant Point man for 18 crimes in connection with a string of break-ins earlier this year.

Nicholas Newell, 19, was indicted Tuesday on five counts of theft by unauthorized taking, three counts of burglary, six counts of criminal mischief and four counts of criminal trespass.

If indicted, First District Attorney Paul Cavanaugh said Wednesday, Newell could be sentenced to up to 10 years in prison on the Class B theft by unauthorized taking.

Newell remained in the Washington County Jail on Wednesday. Cavanaugh said Newell was in custody because of an alleged bail violation.

Newell is scheduled later this month to be arraigned on these charges, “and to address his bail situation,” Cavanaugh said.

Newell’s brush with the law began Jan. 20, when the owners of the Waco Diner in Eastport discovered that a side window had been smashed sometime the night before. “He did some damage getting in and literally stole the cash register and some money and perhaps some alcohol out of the restaurant,” Cavanaugh said.

Later that night, an alarm at Baycity Mobil on Route 190 in Eastport went off. Police found the front door glass had been broken. Police investigated, but it appeared the alarm had scared off the perpetrator and nothing was taken.

While patrolling downtown Eastport shortly after midnight, police officers noticed footprints in the snow near the Moose Island General Store. While an officer was investigating the footprints, he heard a crash farther up the street. When he got to the back of the Waco Diner, he noticed that the rear window had been broken.

Police then discovered that the front door to Bank Square Pizza had been kicked in. It appeared nothing was taken from there.

While Eastport police were investigating those incidents, they learned that the alarm at Newcomb’s Gun and Saddle Shop in Perry had gone off. Maine State Police responded to that alarm. When the owner arrived, he discovered a store window had been smashed and a display case was broken into. “Someone had gone inside and stole three firearms,” Cavanaugh said.

The two agencies compared notes and traced the break-ins to Newell, who was arrested.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like