Millinocket beefs up police patrols

Posted May 11, 2009, at 10:02 p.m.
Last modified Jan. 30, 2011, at 12:19 p.m.

MILLINOCKET, Maine — Beware, speeders, drunken drivers and those who don’t fasten their seat belts while driving. Thanks to about $9,150 in state and federal grants, the Police Department has begun extra-duty patrols designed to catch you.

The first round of speeding and impaired driving patrols began Friday and will continue intermittently until May 31, Police Chief Donald Bolduc said Monday. The first seat belt patrols will run from May 18 to May 31.

Other details will occur intermittently throughout the spring and summer until Sept. 30. All will be townwide, but speeding details also will focus on specific problem areas and streets. They could include Bates, Central, Poplar and Wassau streets, Cottage Road and Rush Boulevard, Bolduc said. Residents have complained of speeders in those areas.

The grant money will cover the cost of as many as 58 four-hour details until Sept. 30, Bolduc said.

“I am hoping that the [high-profile] visibility of officers conducting details will reduce accidents and make the streets safer in Millinocket,” Bolduc said in a statement he released Monday.

The Town Council approved applying for and accepting the grants at meetings last month and in March. Police apply for, and usually receive, the grants annually.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Penobscot