Fire department called twice on propane gas fears

Posted May 08, 2009, at 11:16 p.m.

LINCOLN, Maine — Firefighters were kept busy Friday evening with two propane-related calls about an hour and a half apart.

No one was injured as a result of either incident, Assistant Fire Chief Rusty Burnham said.

The first incident occurred about 5:20 p.m., when fire crews were called to a propane incident at 271 Crane Pond Road, according to Deputy Fire Chief Hervey Clay.

Clay said that a young man who resides at that address had been washing a car in the driveway. As the man attempted to move the car into a garage, his wet sandal slipped from the brake pedal to the gas pedal, causing the car to hit the garage’s back wall.

That caused the wall to push over three 250-pound propane tanks, which broke free of their regulators, causing liquid propane to spill onto the ground. The propane formed a cloud as it began to turn into gas and dissipate, Clay said.

“The plume was a pretty good size,” Burnham said.

The crews used several nozzles to establish a curtain of water so firefighters could safely reach the tanks to turn them off, he said. As a precaution, the residence at which the leak occurred was evacuated, along with three other nearby homes.

Fire crews had barely returned from that call when they were called to West Broadway for a report of a propane smell, Burnham said.

In that incident, which was called in at about 7 p.m., occupants of a West Broadway building reported a propane odor that turned out to be coming from an outside heating device on a roof, Burnham said. He said the occupants left the building while firefighters turned off the gas supply.

They were allowed to go back in after testing conducted inside the building showed no presence of propane.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Bangor