ORONO, Maine — The Bangor Area Storm Water Group is seeking community groups, businesses, families and individuals to help with the fourth annual regional stream cleanup that begins Saturday in Bangor.
The BASWG, University of Maine Cooperative Extension and the Maine Conservation Corps will sponsor the event in seven area municipalities — Bangor, Brewer, Orono, Old Town, Veazie, Hampden and Milford — and on the UMaine campus throughout late April and May 2009.
The events are a coordinated regional effort to clean up local waterways and protect water quality, while building community awareness about storm water pollution.
At each stream cleanup, volunteers will meet in the morning for a short safety discussion before heading out to the designated cleanup sites. All volunteers will be provided with free T-shirts as well as gloves and safety vests to wear during the event. There will be a picnic lunch after the cleanup.
The regional stream cleanup started in 2006 as a way to comply with the public education and participation requirements of the Maine Department of Environmental Protection Storm Water Permit. All of the funds necessary to perform the event are raised locally through donations.
The schedule and municipal contact information:
- Bangor, May 16, Wendy Warren, 992-4255.
- Brewer, May 16, Ken Locke, 949-5417.
- Hampden, May 9, Bob Osborne, 862-6527.
- Milford, May 30, Barbara Cox, 827-2072.
- Old Town, May 11-15, Dave Wight, 827-3974.
- Orono, May 16, William Murphy, 866-5051.
- Veazie, May 9, Allan Thomas, 947-2781.
- UMaine, April 29, Scott Wilkerson, 851-3049.