Boy burns himself in lighter accident

By Jen Lynds, BDN Staff
Posted April 22, 2009, at 10:18 p.m.

ASHLAND, Maine — A 6-year-old local boy is recovering in a Boston hospital after suffering extensive burns Friday evening while playing with a lighter in his home.

Ashland Ambulance Director Pat Long said Wednesday that the boy, Lucien Hammond, was at home when he began playing with the lighter he found.

His father, Scott Hammond, and a sister, Chelsea, were at home. The boy’s mother, Jennifer Hammond, was at work.

The boy was playing with the lighter in his room when his shirt caught fire. He suffered second- and third-degree burns on approximately 15 percent of his body before his father found him and was able to extinguish the flames.

Long said the burns were on the boy’s chest and armpits and also parts of his ears.

Scott Hammond took the boy to the Ashland Fire Department and from there he was taken to The Aroostook Medical Center in Presque Isle.

Burn unit staff from Shriners Hospital for Children in Boston traveled to Presque Isle, then flew Lucien to the Boston hospital.

The hospital provides care for children with orthopedic conditions, burns, spinal cord injuries, and cleft lip and palate at no charge.

Lucien Hammond remained there Wednesday, undergoing treatment. He already has undergone some skin grafts, according to Long, and is expected to stay there until at least next week.

The family could not be reached for comment, but Long said he has been in touch with them every day and that Lucien was doing “pretty well.”

“They are keeping him pretty sedated so that he is not in pain and so that he does not play with the bandages,” he said. “The burns have a better chance of healing if he does not play with the bandages, so he is doing a lot of watching TV and playing video games. He has his ups and downs, but his spirits are good.”

The ambulance crew is organizing a supper and auction to benefit the family. The dinner and auction will run from 4 to 7 p.m. Saturday, April 25, at Ashland High School.

Donations will be accepted at the door.

jlbdn@ainop.com

538-6567

http://bangordailynews.com/2009/04/22/news/boy-burns-himself-in-lighter-accident/ printed on December 27, 2014