BANGOR, Maine — Sparks from a train set off a fire Friday night that burned about three acres of grass and woods in an industrial area along the Perry Road.
Bangor Asst. Fire Chief Rick Cheverie said the fire got as close as 50 feet to a building at 510 Perry Road that houses Bennett Auto Center and Fedex.
The fire was located along the railroad embankment, burning 750 to 1,000 feet along the tracks, and into the woods behind the building.
Cheverie said it is believed the fire started at about 8 p.m. It was reported by a Hampden ambulance crew that was on their way back to their home base and decided to check out the situation when they saw smoke in the sky.