Search for missing fisherman still unsuccessful

Posted March 30, 2009, at 8:39 p.m.

LUBEC, Maine — The scaled-back search for a missing 19-year-old fisherman continued Monday, but by late afternoon had turned up nothing.

Maine Marine Patrol Officer Russell Wright was searching the waters off Lubec for Logan Preston, who has been missing since Wednesday.

“We were down there during the weekend, with a boat and officer and stuff, and [local] fishermen were back out, but we haven’t found anything yet,” Marine Patrol Sgt. Jay Carroll said Monday.

The U.S. Coast Guard and Maine State Police dive team suspended their search for Preston on Friday.

Preston was one of two people aboard the fishing vessel All American, which went down Wednesday near Leighton Point in Pembroke.

The body of the second fisherman, 53-year-old Loren Lank of Lubec, was found Wednesday in a debris field where the boat was last seen. Lank’s stepson Clifton Flynn, who was aboard the fishing vessel Perfect Choice, was one of the fishermen who found Lank.

No one knows why the vessel sank. Flynn speculated last week that the drag may have gotten caught, tipping the boat over. The Coast Guard said last week that the first report of a problem came in from Perfect Choice around 4 p.m. Wednesday when they reported finding the debris field.

Lank apparently was piloting the boat owned by Roger Preston of Roque Bluffs, the father of Logan Preston.

Lank and Logan Preston had been dragging for urchins in the area.

The missing boat, a 34-foot, blue-and-white fiberglass dragger, was last seen around 3 p.m. Wednesday dragging for sea urchins between Leighton Point in Pembroke and Red Island. The search during its high point stretched from Reversing Falls in Pembroke to South Bay in Lubec.

Carroll said the scaled-back search effort was to continue today.bdncalais@myfairpoint.net

454-8228

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in State