BLUE HILL, Maine — Firefighters from nine area towns battled a fire Monday morning that damaged an unoccupied home in South Blue Hill.
The call came in around 9 a.m. and initially was reported as a chimney fire at the Donald Allen home, according to Blue Hill Fire Chief Dennis Robertson. The first firefighters on the scene, however, confirmed it was a working structure fire.
Smoke was coming from under the eaves and out of the windows and doors, Robertson said.
“The first thing we did was to make sure no one was inside,” he said. “Once we got the all-clear, we went right to structural firefighting.”
A small number of firefighters responded initially, Robertson said. But the mutual aid response was good and they had enough firefighters to save the building. With a tanker shuttle providing water, firefighters were able to get a pretty quick knock down, he said. Both the first and second floors of the building had smoke and water damage. Fire damage was contained to one room.
The house was unoccupied at the time of the fire, Robertson said. The water had been drained and the heat was off, but the power was still on. An investigator from the State Fire Marshal’s Office inspected the scene and determined the most likely cause of the blaze was electrical.
No one was injured in the fire.