May 23, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Mark Eves | Any-Deer Permits | RCV Strategy

Ex-Bangor official released from jail

Contributed | BDN
Contributed | BDN
By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — Five days after his back-to-back arrests for drunken driving, former Bangor City Council Chairman Richard Greene is out on bail.

Greene, 53, was released from Penobscot County Jail on Tuesday after a bail hearing at 3rd District Court in Bangor and posting $500 cash bail, a jail official confirmed.

During the court session, Greene’s bail and several conditions of his release were set, according to Michael Roberts, deputy district attorney for Penobscot County.

Roberts said that Greene’s release conditions prohibit him from driving and require that he apply for admission to a substance abuse treatment program. If he is accepted into a program or facility, Greene is required to undergo treatment.

Roberts also said that as another condition, Greene’s release will be supervised by a representative from the Volunteers of America Northern New England, which, among other things, monitors low-risk pretrial adult defendants who otherwise would have to be held in jail.

Greene was arrested and charged with drunken driving last Wednesday night after a Bangor police officer stopped him in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn on Odlin Road after he had been seen driving erratically.

The next night, within hours of his release from jail on the first OUI charge, Greene was arrested again after an off-duty police officer saw him drinking at the Muddy Rudder restaurant in Brewer and alerted on-duty Bangor officers. Greene was charged with a second count of OUI as well as with violating the conditions of his release on the earlier charge.

Greene’s problems with the legal system began in January 2008, when he was arrested and charged with misdemeanor forgery. That charge stemmed from allegations that he submitted a bill to the city on which he forged City Manager Edward Barrett’s signature.

Greene was arrested again in May of last year for allegedly stealing grocery items from the Hannaford supermarket on Broadway. According to a police report, Greene left the store without paying for $130.71 in merchandise, including wine, gin, tonic water and frozen pizza.

Despite his legal troubles, Greene remained on the City Council until last June, when he was sentenced to five days in jail for the forgery and shoplifting offenses.

Greene’s next brush with the law came in October, when he was arrested on a warrant for a contempt charge connected to his failure to appear at an August court hearing relating to a District Court judgment against him.

In November, he was arrested again, this time on a warrant issued for failure to appear for a court date also related to his not complying with a District Court judgment against him.

Greene was arrested again last month on two outstanding warrants relating to charges that he wrote bad checks.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like