June 21, 2018
News Latest News | Poll Questions | Family Separations | Boston TV | LePage Troops

Evening fire in Stetson contained to chimney


STETSON, Maine — Firefighters, with the help of a homeowner, stopped a chimney fire Friday night before it could spread to the rest of the house.

Firefighters from Stetson, Etna and Carmel were called to the fire about 8 p.m. at the John Babcock Sr. residence at 392 Coboro Road, Etna Fire Chief Kim Tracy said. When they arrived, all five members of the Babcock family were safely outside and Babcock had made good progress in knocking the fire down with a dry chemical fire extinguisher, Tracy said.

Tracy said firefighters got up on the roof and finished putting out the fire, which he said was caused by a creosote buildup.

No firefighters were injured and fire damage was minimal, Tracy said.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like