June 25, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Red Meat Allergy | Foraging | Ranked-Choice Voting

Ex-Bangor councilor charged with OUI

By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — Former Bangor City Council Chairman Richard Greene has been arrested again, this time for drunken driving.

Greene, 53, was arrested and charged with operating under the influence just before midnight Wednesday after a Bangor police officer stopped him in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn on Odlin Road, Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards confirmed Thursday.

After he was arrested, Greene was taken to the Penobscot County Jail. He was released Thursday after an appearance at 3rd District Court in Bangor, a jail official said.

Edwards said Greene came to the attention of police when he was seen driving erratically in the vicinity of Odlin Road, Hammond Street and Interstate 395. He declined to say what Greene’s blood alcohol content was at the time, citing the department’s policy against releasing such information.

Greene’s problems with the legal system began in January 2008, when he was arrested and charged with misdemeanor forgery. That charge stemmed from allegations that he submitted a bill to the city on which he forged City Manager Edward Barrett’s signature.

According to an investigation by staff from the Maine Attorney General’s Office, Greene, a professional photographer and owner of Klyne Studio, submitted an invoice to the city seeking $9,000 in “usage fees” for the public display of nine of the mayoral portraits he had taken dating to 1997-98. The portraits line the halls of the top floor at City Hall.

Greene was arrested again in May of last year for allegedly stealing grocery items from the Hannaford Supermarket on Broadway. According to a police report, Greene left the store without paying for $130.71 in merchandise, namely two bottles of cabernet sauvignon and one bottle of sauvignon blanc worth about $60, one bottle of Tanqueray gin valued at $35 and a bottle of tonic water, as well as two frozen pizzas worth about $11 and a package of razor refill blades worth about $19.

Despite his legal troubles, Greene remained on the City Council until last June, when he was sentenced to five days in jail for the forgery and shoplifting offenses.

Greene had another brush with the law in October, when his was arrested on a warrant for a contempt charge connected to his failure to appear at an August court hearing relating to a District Court judgment against him. Penobscot County Sheriff Glenn Ross arrested Greene after spotting him in the Broadway Shopping Center.

In November, he was arrested again, this time by police in Veazie. Veazie Police Chief Mark Leonard said at that time that a warrant had been issued for Greene’s failure to appear for a court date also related to his not complying with a District Court judgment against him.

Greene was arrested again last month, when he was arrested on two outstanding warrants. The warrants, issued at the request of the Veazie Police Department, were for bad checks.

In that instance, Greene was arrested at the Ramada Inn on Odlin Road, where he reportedly planned to spend the night. Before that could happen, he was spotted by two city police officers assigned to a security detail at the entrance of Barnaby’s nightclub, which is at the Ramada.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like