May 27, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Memorial Day | Bangor Day Trips | Center for Wildlife

Smuggler for inmates gets half year

Contributed | BDN
Contributed | BDN
By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A former guard at the Mountain View Youth Development Center in Charleston and the Franklin County Jail in Farmington was sentenced Tuesday in Penobscot County Superior Court to two years in prison with all but six months suspended for smuggling contraband into both facilities.

Lori Call, 37, formerly of Charleston, pleaded guilty just before her sentencing to two counts of trafficking in prison contraband when she worked at the institutions in 2007 and 2008. By pleading guilty, she admitted bringing alcohol and marijuana to several juveniles being held at the Charleston facility on Dec. 1, 2007, and attempting to smuggle a narcotic pill to an inmate in Farmington a few months later.

Superior Court Justice Michaela Murphy also sentenced Call to two years of probation after she completes her sentence. Conditions of Call’s probation include no alcohol or drug use, random testing for their use and counseling for mental health issues.

“On this charge,” Murphy said in imposing the sentence, “ordinarily people who are first-time offenders like youself serve no jail time. But you were in a position of power and a position of responsibility, especially at the juvenile facility in Charleston. You breached a trust.”

Call quietly answered the judge’s questions and wept as her attorney described her life, but she did not address the court.

She began serving her sentence immediately. Call is expected to serve the next four months in the Penobscot County Jail after the two months that she was held last year until bail could be arranged are applied to her sentence.

The sentence was a joint recommendation set forth in a plea agreement between Jeffrey Silverstein, Call’s Bangor atttorney, and Michael Roberts, deputy district attorney for Penobscot County, who prosecuted the case, which was combined with the one in Franklin County.

Call now lives in Middleborough, Mass., with her family and two daughters, whose ages were not made public Tuesday. She will be allowed to serve her probation in that state.

Call’s life seemed to be on the right track in 2007 when she went to work at the Charleston faciltiy, Silverstein told the judge Tuesday. She had divorced her abusive husband and was engaged to be married but things began spiraling out of control. Her engagment ended, the attorney said, and she became too close to an inmate at the Charleston facility.

When he turned 18 and aged out of the juvenile facility and was moved to the Franklin County Jail to complete his sentence, Call followed him and got a job at that facility, where she was caught trying to smuggle a narcotic pill into the jail for him.

Information about the man was not available Tuesday.

Call was indicted last March by the Penobscot County grand jury. Information about when she was indicted in Franklin County was not available Tuesday.

She faced up to five years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000.


Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like