BANGOR, Maine — A Bangor man was sentenced last week in Penobscot County Superior Court to a total of 17 years in prison with all but 10 suspended for molesting, showing pornography to and-or secretly videotaping six children.
Nathan D. Roy, 31, also was sentenced by Superior Court Justice Kevin Cuddy to 10 years of probation. He will be required to register as a sex offender for life, Michael Roberts, deputy district attorney for Penobscot County, said Tuesday.
None of the victims or their families attended the sentencing Thursday, he said.
In a plea agreement, Roy pleaded guilty on Feb. 2 to nine of the 12 counts on which the Penobscot County grand jury indicted him in October — three counts of unlawful sexual contact, possession of sexually explicit material, sexual misconduct with a child and four counts of visual sexual aggression against a child, which means he videotaped children while they were naked or partially unclothed.
Charges of unlawful sexual conduct, gross sexual assault and sexual exploitation of a minor were dismissed, Roberts said.
All but one of the victims, who included four boys and two girls, was under age 12 at the time of the alleged molestation, according to information previously published in the Bangor Daily News. Two of them allegedly were abused repeatedly, Roberts said last year, but the others appeared to have been victimized in single inci-dents.
The molestation of at least one victim dated back to spring 2005, according to the indictment. The other incidents happened in the winter and early spring of 2008.
One of the victims went to the police, Roberts said last year. Allegations about other victims came to light after Roy’s former home in the Capehart section of Bangor was searched.
Roy faced up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $20,000 on each of the most serious charges to which he pleaded guilty. He did not have a significant criminal record and no previous sex charges, Roberts said Tuesday.