Family to sue Maine police for fatal shooting

Posted Feb. 28, 2009, at 12:56 p.m.
Last modified Feb. 13, 2011, at 10:43 a.m.

SOUTH PORTLAND, Maine — The family of a 29-year-old Maine man who was fatally shot in a police standoff last August has given notice it intends to file a lawsuit.

Michael Norton died from a gunshot outside his South Portland home after officers were called to check on him.

Attorney Owen Pickus says he filed a notice of claim in Cumberland County Superior Court against the city, the police department, the chief and the two officers involved in the shooting.

Pickus says the claim alleges that Norton did not threaten police and that the department should have done more to arrest Norton without creating conditions where deadly force was necessary.

A review of the shooting last year found the officers were legally justified in using deadly force.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in State