June 23, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

‘Call for help,’ mother urges

By Meg Haskell, BDN Staff

OLD TOWN, Maine — The mother of a teenage University of Maine student who suffered a fatal head injury at a party last weekend says she doesn’t blame anyone for her son’s death.

In an e-mail to the Bangor Daily News on Thursday, Susan Lyford of Milo said she wishes an ambulance had been called sooner when it was evident that her 19-year-old son, Dylan, wasn’t waking up. But, she added, there’s no guarantee earlier medical intervention would have saved his life, and even had he survived, he may have suffered irreversible brain damage.

“He would not have wanted to live if he couldn’t function normally,” she said.

Old Town police have released the names of the two young women who lease the apartment where Dylan Lyford suffered the fatal injury. The tenants of the apartment at 69 Stillwater Ave. are 19-year-old Rebecca Koscuiszka and 20-year-old Tania Riegelman. Both are second-year students at the University of Maine. Koscuiszka is a history major from Ridgewood, N.J. Riegelman is studying child development and family relations. Her records at UMaine list the Old Town apartment as her only address.

According to updated information from the police, Lyford attended a party at the residence that started Saturday night and carried over into Sunday morning. He is believed to have been consuming alcohol at the party. Between 1:30 and 2:30 a.m. Sunday, Lyford was found at the bottom of a flight of stairs leading into the base-ment and was brought back upstairs to the apartment, according to the police report.

At about 10:30 Sunday morning, emergency crews went to the residence after receiving a report of an unresponsive male. Lyford was taken by ambulance to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor, where he was pronounced dead.

A preliminary report from the office of the state medical examiner confirmed that Lyford died from a head injury consistent with a fall. Blood alcohol levels have not been released.

“Our family is devastated,” said Susan Lyford in her e-mailed message. “All we want is for people to hold on to the memories and remember Dylan for the child he was and the man he had become. … All we ask is that kids learn when someone hits their head you don’t let them go to sleep. Call for help. Maybe someone will re-member this and it will make a difference for someone.”

Once the investigation is completed, the case will be turned over to the District Attorney’s Office for possible charges, according to the Old Town police.



Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like