BREWER, Maine — A fire that started in a Wilson Street garage grew so fast and burned so hot Thursday that it destroyed three vehicles and melted siding on three nearby homes, fire officials said.
No one was injured as a result of the fire, which Brewer Fire Chief Rick Bronson said began about 6 p.m.
“We did search to make sure everyone was OK, but everyone already was out when we got there,” said Lt. Dennis Tinkham of the Brewer Fire Department.
According to Tinkham, the fire began while Mark Lloyd of Brewer and a friend were working on a Harley-Davidson motorcycle in a garage at 228 Wilson St.
The two had just removed the bike’s gas tank when they noticed some gasoline had spilled. Though they shut off an LP gas heater inside the two-story garage, the heater retained enough residual heat to ignite gasoline vapors, Tinkham said.
“The fire grew very, very rapidly and it burned very hot,” Tinkham said, adding that the garage and houses were located in a compact neighborhood.
He said a dollar estimate for fire-related damage was not immediately available.
The fire destroyed, in addition to the garage and its contents, including the motorcycle, a pickup truck and an automobile parked nearby. It melted siding on three adjacent homes, Tinkham said.
Sections of siding were burned on the houses at 228 Wilson St., 230 Wilson St. and 127 Parker St., Tinkham said. There also was some fire damage to the rear of the house at 228 Wilson, which is occupied by Lloyd and his wife and his wife’s grandparents Ken and Doris Doak, owners of the demolished pickup and car.
All three homes remain habitable, Tinkham said.
Brewer fire crews were assisted by firefighters from Bangor and Eddington.
The fire resulted in the closure of a section of Wilson Street for nearly two hours.
Traffic temporarily was rerouted through residential side streets.