BREWER, Maine — Of course there will be ice sculptures, not only by professional Jeff Day of Ice Designs in New Hampshire, but by amateurs hoping to take home a trophy for their crystalline work.
After all, it’s time for Winterfest, the one and only Penobscot River Winterfest 2009 in Brewer.
Be outside the Muddy Rudder 4-8 p.m. Friday, Feb. 20, to see Day’s icing and slicing. The competition and displays will be held there 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday.
You’ve got to have fireworks? That’s Friday night.
You simply must sample some chili — or chowder? The cook-off is Saturday.
In fact, here’s the schedule for Winterfest weekend:
Friday, Feb. 20:
- Ice carving, 4-8 p.m., Muddy Rudder.
- Skating and sliding party, 6-8 p.m., Doyle Field, behind Brewer Auditorium.
- Packet pickup for Sniffleball Tournament, 6-8 p.m., Muddy Rudder.
- Cocktail hors d’oeuvres reception with entertainment by Joe Shaw and Dave Russell as J.D. Brothers, free hors d’oeuvres, 6-8 p.m. Muddy Rudder.
- Fireworks display over Penobscot River by Central Maine Pyrotechnics, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, Feb. 22
- Kiwanis French toast breakfast, 8-10 a.m., Brewer Auditorium.
- Winter softball tournament, 8 a.m., Brewer Middle School Softball Field. Co-ed, slow-pitch teams. Register at 989-5199.
- Family activities and games offered by Penquis, 9 a.m.-1 p.m., Brewer Auditorium. This year, activities and games for children will be free.
- Kiwanis lunch and snacks, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., Brewer Auditorium.
- Ice carving competitions and displays, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., outside Muddy Rudder.
- Chili and chowder cook-off, noon-2 p.m., Muddy Rudder.
- Awards presentations, announcements, 2:30 p.m., Muddy Rudder.
- Winter SnowBall, hosted by Penquis and Brewer Kiwanis, 7-11 p.m. Muddy Rudder. $20, $35 couple, $140 table of eight. Music, dance lessons. Penquis, 973-3586, www.penquis.org or at the door.
Proceeds from Winterfest 2009 will benefit the Penquis Keep Kids Warm Fund.