Improper stovepiping cause of fire in Canaan

By Sharon Kiley Mack, BDN Staff
Posted Feb. 08, 2009, at 11:55 p.m.

CANAAN, Maine — Four fire departments responded to a report of a house fire on Oak Pond Road on Saturday afternoon.

Improper installation of a wood stove was thought to be the cause of the fire.

Capt. Rick Caldwell of the Skowhegan Fire Department said the home was being used to store personal belongings and furniture while the owner renovated a second home next door.

The wooden, single-story home had a small wood stove, Caldwell said, and the stovepipe had not been installed correctly through the home’s roof. The homeowner lit a fire in the stove around noon Saturday and left for a short time to give the residence time to warm up.

Caldwell said that when she returned, flames were shooting from the roof. Caldwell did not know the woman’s name or whether she had insurance on the property.

Firefighters from Skowhegan, Cornville and Canaan fought the blaze while Norridgewock firefighters provided mutual aid at the Skowhegan fire station.

http://bangordailynews.com/2009/02/08/news/improper-stovepiping-cause-of-fire-in-canaan/ printed on December 21, 2014