J.K. Edes building to be torn down

Posted Feb. 06, 2009, at 9:21 p.m.
Last modified Feb. 13, 2011, at 11:02 a.m.

GUILFORD, Maine — A Parkman man was awarded the contract to demolish the former J.K. Edes building.

Selectmen received 13 bids in January and those bids were reviewed by selectmen and Town Manager Tom Goulette before the board approved a $15,000 bid submitted by Gordon Davis.

While the lowest bid of $13,190 was submitted by a Shirley contractor, the board decided to go with the second-lowest bid. Although selectmen were not specific on how the demolition debris must be disposed of, they favored Davis’ plan. Davis stipulated he would haul off the debris. The Shirley contractor planned to burn the demolition debris on-site, Goulette said Friday. In addition, Davis also said he would level the empty lot, fill it, loam and seed it, he said.

Goulette said the demolition project received widespread interest, including a call from a Calais contractor. About 20 people interested in the project were shown the building, he said.

As some residents had hoped, it appeared last year that the building would be saved and integrated into a multimillion-dollar community center proposed by Guilford native Jeanine Samuel and her husband, David, of the Carolinas. The couple, however, withdrew their proposal when True Textiles Inc. denied the town’s request for the donation or lease of adjacent property needed for the project.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Piscataquis