May 23, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Mark Eves | Any-Deer Permits | RCV Strategy

Bail, conditions set for accused in mall-area thefts

Contributed | BDN
Contributed | BDN
By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — Court documents connected to the arrests of three local men charged with felony theft indicate that family members of two of the suspects played a crucial role in their apprehension.

According to affidavits prepared by Bangor police officials, the mother tipped off police after hearing her neighbor’s car described on the news and noting that her sons had come to her home with costly electronics — despite the fact that neither man had a job.

After one of the brothers was arrested, the sister aided police by arranging to give the other a ride, court documents showed. The Bangor Daily News is not naming the mother or sister since the newspaper usually does not name victims or witnesses.

Bail and release conditions were set Monday for the three local men arrested and charged Friday night in connection with a string of robberies at Bangor Mall area stores.

Though a final tally for the dollar value of the stolen merchandise was not available Monday, Bangor police say the three suspects got away with “several thousands of dollars” worth of goods and that the haul included a video game system, several games and movies.

Arrested in the case were Timothy Woods, 25, and brothers Joshua Clark, 23, and Justin Clark, 25, all of Bangor.

During initial hearings Monday in 3rd District Court, bail for Woods was set at $300 cash or $3,000 single surety, while Joshua Clark got $5,000 unsecured bail, and Justin Clark had bail set at $500 cash or $5,000 single surety, according to Susan Pope, assistant district attorney for Penobscot County.

As of Monday night, only Joshua Clark had been released. His alleged accomplices remained at Penobscot County Jail in Bangor, unable to make bail, jail officials confirmed.

In other conditions of their release, all three were ordered to stay out of the Kmart store on Hogan Road and to have no contact with witnesses employed at the stores they allegedly robbed or with the Clark brothers’ mother and sister, according to affidavits filed with the court.

Pope said Joshua Clark, who was living at his mother’s home at the time of his arrest, may return there one time, with a police escort, to retrieve his belongings.

The felony theft charges filed against the three stem only from the Kmart thefts. Additional charges are pending for the items taken from the other stores the three allegedly struck.

If they have not been indicted by a Penobscot County grand jury before then, the three also are slated to appear at a status conference on March 27 at Penobscot County Superior Court in Bangor.

The men’s two-day crime spree began on Thursday, when they reportedly stole several thousand dollars’ worth of merchandise from the Best Buy, Toys “R” Us and Target stores located near the Bangor Mall. In each case, the suspects grabbed a large amount of merchandise — sometimes stuffing items into a box or large bag — and then fled the store.

On Friday evening, Kmart employees reported a similar incident in which a suspect made off with several hundred dollars’ worth of merchandise in a trash can, Bangor police Sgt. Paul Edwards reported over the weekend.

The three were linked to the crime spree after city police received a call from the Clark brothers’ mother, who had seen coverage of the thefts in the news and believed her sons were responsible.

She said the car her sons had borrowed from a neighbor of hers matched the description of the one believed used in the thefts. She also said her sons had come to her apartment in a senior citizen housing complex with a new PlayStation 3 video game system as well as several video games and movies, according to an affidavit filed with the court by Bangor police.

The mother later identified her sons in surveillance photographs from one of the affected stores, according to the affidavit.

The three men returned to the woman’s home in the suspect car, but when they saw police, they split up. Wood and Justin Clark ran down the street. Joshua Clark entered the apartment building’s stairway, where he was captured and arrested. Police caught up with Wood on Ohio Street and brought him to the station.

Justin Clark was apprehended after he called his sister for a ride. The sister cooperated with police by allowing them to follow her to a convenience store, where she was asked to pick him up. He was in her car when it was pulled over for a traffic stop from which she later was released.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like