June 23, 2018
News Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

Lincoln man, 24, gets 8 years for burglary, terrorizing’ girl

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A Lincoln man with a history of deviant behavior was sentenced Thursday in Penobscot County Superior Court to eight years in prison with one year suspended for, among other charges, breaking into a neighbor’s home and terrorizing a 9-year-old girl.

Superior Court Justice William Anderson also sentenced Christopher D. Pete, 24, to three years of probation. In addition, the judge ordered Pete to pay more than $1,000 in restitution.

“This was an extremely serious offense with a serious impact on the victim,” Anderson said in imposing the sentence. “More often than not, when a residence is burglarized, no one is home.

“When people are home it is quite a bit more serious,” the judge continued, “but in this case, you directly had contact with a young child in a way that would terrorize any child. She awoke in bed to find a stranger in a hooded sweat shirt pulling the blankets off her.”

The girl was not physically injured, but Pete tried to pull the blankets down two or three times before he left the Spring Street home, Greg Campbell, assistant district attorney for Penobscot County, said after the hearing. The girl followed him and watched him leave, Campbell continued, and was able to tell police in which direction he went.

Lincoln police used a state police German shepherd named Semper to track Pete to the home on Ayer Street where he was living with his father. Police arrested him when he left the house.

Pete’s criminal record includes incidents in which he burglarized at least one home and several cars to steal women’s underwear and bathing suits, according to Campbell. Pete also has been convicted of exposing himself in public.

The girl’s mother told Anderson at the sentencing that she would “take comfort” in knowing that Pete would be in prison.

“He violated my daughter’s safety and terrified her,” she said, “and stole priceless items. When he comes out of prison, I hope that he will never put fear into someone else as he did my daughter.”

Pete pleaded guilty Wednesday to two counts of burglary and two counts of theft. He admitted to breaking into the Maine Street Redemption Center in Lincoln on July 30 and stealing the cash register with the cash in it. Pete was ordered to pay the owner $445 while on probation.

He also admitted that he burglarized the Spring Street house and was ordered to pay the mother of the girl he frightened $582 in restitution for the items he stole.

“I’m sorry for what I put everybody through,” Pete told the judge at the sentencing.

Pete faced up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $20,000. His plea agreement with prosecutors would have allowed him to withdraw his guilty plea if the sentence had been longer than eight years.

Campbell asked the judge to sentence Pete to eight years without probation. He said he didn’t ask for probation because Pete had never successfully completed probation in the past. Defense attorney Cathy Rogers Lufkin of Millinocket urged Anderson to sentence her client to eight years with all but 4½ years suspended and two years of probation.

Pete has been held without bail since his arrest Sept. 12 at his father’s home in Lincoln. That time will be applied to his prison sentence.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like