June 19, 2018
Aroostook Latest News | Poll Questions | Susan Collins | Tiny House Surprise | Stephen King

Caribou house fire blamed on faulty wood stove

By Jen Lynds, BDN Staff

CARIBOU, Maine — A problem with a wood stove is suspected to have caused a fire that destroyed a home on Limestone Road on Monday.

The fire broke out at the home owned by Roland Thompson at 111 Limestone Road at approximately 4:30 a.m. Monday, according to Roy Woods, chief of the Caribou Fire Department.

Woods said Tuesday that Thompson was not at the home at the time of the fire but a wood stove was going.

“I suspect there was a problem with the wood stove,” he said, adding that it was located in the kitchen area.

When the Fire Department arrived, flames were shooting from the roof of the dwelling, according to Woods.

“We were on the scene for just over two hours and we had 25 firefighters there,” said the chief.

The home was a total loss. Thompson was insured.

No one was injured.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like