Baileyville house fire likely started in kitchen

Posted Jan. 08, 2009, at 8:34 p.m.

BAILEYVILLE, Maine — A fire Thursday morning that may have started in the downstairs of a single-family house damaged the Summit Street dwelling.

The house, which belongs to Dan and Ashley Penne, is just behind Woodland High School.

Around 9:45 a.m., Dan Penne saw fire coming from the kitchen. He was able to climb out a bedroom window and get to a neighbor’s house, where he called for help.

Firefighters arrived within minutes and were able to get the fire under control.

Fire Chief Gary Santerre said firefighters could see smoke coming from the eaves and window casings. Smoke also was coming out through the casement around the doors.

“We are not sure exactly what started it, but it definitely was in the kitchen ceiling area,” Santerre said.

The fire destroyed the kitchen and attic above it. The rest of the house received smoke and water damage, Santerre said.

It was unclear whether the Pennes are insured.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office has been called, and the fire remained under investigation Thursday.

Santerre said about 15 firefighters were on scene for more than two hours. The Calais Fire Department assisted Baileyville. The Baileyville Police Department provided traffic control.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Down East