Presque Isle home gutted by fire

By Jen Lynds, BDN Staff
Posted Jan. 05, 2009, at 2:57 p.m.

PRESQUE ISLE, Maine — A Presque Isle couple lost everything they owned, including some family pets, over the weekend after an early morning fire gutted their manufactured home on Saturday.

Rich Wark, a deputy chief for the Presque Isle Fire Department, said Monday that the fire was reported just before 12:30 a.m.

The home belonged to Daniel Sparks, who lived on site at the Presque Isle Trailer Park with his wife, Roberta. The couple had two cats and a dog.

According to Wark, the couple had been using a space heater to heat the home and left it on while they went to the store just before the fire broke out. When they returned, the back part of the trailer was fully involved, according to Wark.

Firefighters were on the scene for more than two hours. A cat was found dead inside the dwelling, while another cat and a dog remain missing.

The couple was not insured and are being assisted by the Presque Isle branch of the American Red Cross.

The Presque Isle Fire Department received mutual aid from the Caribou Fire Department and Crown Ambulance. Maine Public Service Co. responded to cut power to the home.

http://bangordailynews.com/2009/01/05/news/presque-isle-home-gutted-by-fire/ printed on September 19, 2014