Millinocket stabbing investigation continues

By Nick Sambides Jr., BDN Staff
Posted Jan. 01, 2009, at 2:25 p.m.

MEDWAY, Maine — Daniel Deschaine might not be alive today had not a Millinocket man put a tourniquet on his left leg after he was stabbed in the parking lot of a Millinocket bar last week.

“If I didn’t get help, I probably would have bled out right there,” the 26-year-old town man said Thursday. “The tourniquet he put on my leg because it was bleeding very, very profusely. He was somebody in the bar there after closing time. I was told by somebody that he was an EMT. So I am lucky.”

Deschaine knows the name of the man, and others at the Highland Tavern on Central Street who helped him, but declined to identify them. His account of the Dec. 21 incident is sketchy because of his reluctance to say anything that might compromise the police investigation.

That investigation, Millinocket Police Chief Donald Bolduc said, will likely end with charges being filed. Sgt. Aaron Brooker, the lead investigator, “is making good progress,” Bolduc said.

Brooker could not be reached for comment Thursday.

Deschaine was jumped at about 1:25 a.m. by two or three people, after the bar closed. When the attack ended, he pounded on the tavern’s door and workers there cleaning up let him in, he said.

Deschaine was released from Millinocket Regional Hospital on Dec. 23. He spent several bedridden days at home before regaining enough strength to move around with a single crutch.

http://bangordailynews.com/2009/01/01/news/millinocket-stabbing-investigation-continues/ printed on July 24, 2014