Toddler, 2, accidentally strangles himself in crib

Posted Dec. 28, 2008, at 10:16 p.m.

VINALHAVEN, Maine — The death Saturday morning of a 2-year-old boy who had been sleeping in a portable crib at Vinalhaven has been ruled accidental.

Maine State Police spokesman Stephen McCausland said the child was visiting a family member’s home for the Christmas holiday when he was put to bed Friday night in a Pack N Play, a portable crib manufactured by Evenflo. A mesh covering was placed over the top, apparently to prevent the child from climbing out, McCausland said.

About 8 a.m. Saturday, the child’s mother, Lisa Rosen of Harvard, Mass., checked on the boy and found him dead.

“He had apparently stood up and gotten his head out of the netting, between the netting and the crib, and somehow he turned his head and the netting tightened around his neck and strangled him,” McCausland said.

An autopsy concluded that the cause of death was strangulation, according to McCausland, and it has been ruled accidental.

“This is a terrible holiday tragedy,” McCausland said.

The boy and his parents, Mark Thompson and Rosen, were visiting Vinalhaven for the Christmas holiday and were at a family home on Dyer Island Road.

Although the Knox County Sheriff’s Office was the first agency called, two Maine State Police detectives were sent to the island because that agency investigates all cases of death in children under the age of 3, whether they are suspicious or not.

bdnpittsfield@verizon.net

487-3187

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in State