Downtown to rock on New Year’s Eve
BANGOR — Music at The Downtown Countdown on New Year’s Eve, Wednesday, Dec. 31, will feature:
• Maximum Blue, 6:30-7:30 p.m., Council Chambers, third floor, City Hall.
• Larry and Leslie Latour, 8-10:30 p.m., Council Chambers, third floor, City Hall.
• The RetroRockerz, 8-11:30 p.m., Union Street Brick Church.
ä Evergreen, 8-11:15 p.m., Penobscot Theatre, 131 Main St.
• Velma, 8:30-11 p.m., J.B. Parker’s Cafe.
• The Bangor Jazz Trio, 8-10 p.m., The Charles Inn.
• Tom “Jazzou” Jones, 9-11:30 p.m., Hammond Street Senior Center, 2 Hammond St.
• Contra Dance with UpRiver Reel and caller John McIntyre, 8-11:30 p.m., Unitarian Universalist Church, 120 Park St.
All musical events listed are free.
The Bangor Public Library, as part of Bangor’s Downtown Countdown, will host a New Year’s Eve party 6-9 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 31. The public is invited. A variety of entertainment appropriate for all ages will be provided.
Highlights include dancing to the big band sound of Sentimental Journey in the lobby; dance classes with Robinson Ballet in the Lecture Hall; Dan Baker, Maine magician, performing two shows; a “Dance, Dance Revolution” tournament and a tournament for “Guitar Hero” devotees.
In the Children’s Department partygoers will find crafts activities, karaoke-piano music and a chamber group from John Bapst Memorial High School.
There will be board games and lots of old-fashioned fun. Attendees are invited to dress for the costume contest. The theme is “A Sixties Happening.”
Robinson Ballet dance classes include “Let’s Get the Party Started” at 6:30 p.m., “Hip Hop Holiday” at 7:15 p.m. and “Fun for the Whole Family” at 8 p.m.
Dan Baker’s magic shows are set for 6:45 and 8:15 p.m. The “Dance, Dance Revolution” tournament runs from 6 to 7:30 p.m., and the “Guitar Hero” tournament runs 7:30 to 9 p.m.
The party is free and door prizes will be awarded.