Fire guts historic house in central Maine

The Associated Press
Posted Dec. 23, 2008, at 3:25 p.m.

HALLOWELL, Maine — A historic house in Hallowell has been gutted by a fire that injured five people, including three firefighters.

The Tuesday morning fire destroyed a building once known as the Abbott House. The house on Winthrop Street was built more than 100 years ago and is part of the Hallowell Historic District, which is on the National Register of Historic Places.

Fire officials said two people who lived in the house were injured, as were three firefighters, one of whom was hurt by bricks from a fallen chimney.

http://bangordailynews.com/2008/12/23/news/fire-guts-historic-house-in-central-maine/ printed on September 19, 2014