BANGOR, Maine — A group of teenagers who reportedly broke into and destroyed an unoccupied home on Sixth Street were seen on Sunday leaving the scene of the crime, according to police.
“The suspects appeared to be unidentifiable teenagers, one quite chunky and all in black winter coats, hoods and hats,” Investigating Officer Dan Herrick of the Bangor Police Department stated in his report.
A neighbor heard glass breaking at 8 p.m. Sunday and witnessed the suspects leaving the scene.
The intruders apparently broke a window on a back door, which is not visible from the roadway or by neighbors, and gained access to the empty home.
Windows were broken, fixtures were ripped off the walls, stairway railings were broken, walls had holes kicked in them, the glass top of an electric stove was smashed and the exhaust hood was torn down, and fire extinguishers were discharged inside the home.
“The interior had been badly vandalized,” the police report said.
Herrick indicated that the vandals likely had been in the home previously as there was “evidence of toilet use that had frozen in the bowl.”
There is no estimate on the amount of damage, Bangor police Lt. Steve Hunt said Monday.
“It’s pretty infrequent” that empty homes in the Bangor area get broken into, he said.
The vacant home, which is for sale, is insured, a relative said.
Anyone with information about the crime is urged to call the Bangor Police Department at 947-7384.