MILLINOCKET, Maine — A 16-year-old student of the Maine School of Science and Mathematics in Limestone died Thursday while home on Christmas break, the apparent victim of exhaust fumes from the family’s plow truck.
The parents of Matthew Cesare found their son’s body at about 11 a.m. Thursday in the garage at their home on Fire Lane 18 on Ambajejus Lake, according to Lt. Robert Young of the Piscataquis County Sheriff’s Department. Ambajejus is about six miles west of Millinocket.
Cesare had been trying to warm up an older plow truck in a small garage when he apparently became ill from the truck’s fumes, Young said Friday.
Young said the parents, Anthony and Ramona Cesare, told him the truck didn’t run well unless the operator “feathered” or pumped the gas pedal, which Cesare apparently was doing when he was overcome by the fumes. Though the garage door had to be opened to get into the structure, Young said it appeared that Cesare became unconscious, fell forward against the steering wheel, activating the remote control in his pocket which closed the automatic door.
“There was nothing to indicate it was anything but a tragic accident,” Young said.