BROOKSVILLE, Maine — Two sisters escaped uninjured from their burning home early Wednesday morning.
Firefighters received the call at about 3:20 a.m. Wednesday reporting a fire at the home of Ruth Stevens and Isabel Jordan on Bagaduce Road. According to Brooksville Fire Chief Matt Dow, the women work in the night and noticed a different smell in the house.
Dow said it appeared that the blaze started as a chimney fire which spread into the ceiling in the ell of the house. The two women were able to call 911 and then got out of the house and into their car.
When the first firefighters arrived on the scene, the fire had spread and flames were coming through the roof, the fire chief said. Firefighters got a fairly quick knockdown on the fire and were able to contain the fire to the ell of the building where the kitchen is located. The rest of the house had minimal smoke damage and no water damage, Dow said.
The two women were not injured. The Red Cross has made arrangements for them to stay at a nearby inn for several days. According to Dow, an inspector from the State Fire Marshal’s Office has inspected the scene and the house may require some work before it is habitable. Dow has contacted the selectmen to see if there are any local options for housing in the meantime.
Brooksville firefighters were assisted at the scene by crews from Blue Hill, Brooklin, Sedgwick, Penobscot and Deer Isle.