MARION TOWNSHIP, Maine — A fire Saturday morning destroyed a single-family house on Marion Station Road in this Washington County community.
A fire official said the homeowner and his son might have been slightly hurt in the blaze but that several cats and dogs perished.
Around 10 a.m. Saturday, homeowner Jeff Cummings was working around the outside of his house when he noticed smoke coming from the eaves. He went inside and saw fire on the wall and ceiling behind his wood stove, Dennysville Fire Chief David Wilder said.
Cummings was able to get his family and some of his pets out of the two-story house, but several cats and dogs died in the fire. The exact number was unknown Saturday afternoon.
When firefighters arrived, the chief said, the house was in flames. “A wood stove is suspected,” Wilder said of the possible cause.
Fifteen firefighters from Dennysville and Pembroke attacked the fire from the outside.
“Our main concern: We had a propane cylinder that was vented so we had to secure the area,” Wilder said. “So we had to take precaution on that.”
Firefighters were on the scene about three hours.
The chief said the house was destroyed in the blaze. He said he believed the structure was insured.
Wilder said Cummings and his son may have suffered minor injuries in the fire, but the extent of the injuries was unknown Saturday afternoon. No one else was injured.
The chief credited the work of the firefighters. “The help from mutual aid and all of the firemen is really appreciated,” he said.