April 26, 2018
Hancock Latest News | Poll Questions | Deputy Shot | Cremated Ashes | Missing Boy

Tremont man, 46, arrested after standoff with police

By Bill Trotter, BDN Staff

TREMONT, Maine — A local man was arrested Wednesday morning after allegedly assaulting another man, shooting at him with a shotgun and then keeping police at bay for more than an hour before surrendering peacefully, according to a law enforcement official.

Scott Kingsbury, 46, is facing charges of reckless conduct, criminal threatening with a firearm and assault, Lt. Chris Coleman of Maine State Police said.

A Maine State Police tactical team responded to a call from the village of West Tremont around 6 a.m. Wednesday after another man called police to report that Kingsbury assaulted and threatened him, according to Coleman. A home across from Kingsbury’s residence, which is near the offices of Carter’s Construction on Route 102, was evacuated and part of the highway was closed to traffic as police tried to establish contact with Kingsbury and to convince him to give himself up.

Initial attempts to contact Kingsbury were unsuccessful, according to Coleman.

“Eventually they did [contact him] after several attempts,” he said. “He didn’t come out.”

Around 7 a.m. police made contact with Kingsbury again, and after talking to him some more, convinced him to surrender.

Kingsbury turned himself in around 7:40 a.m., Coleman said. He was taken to Hancock County Jail in Ellsworth and police were planning to stay at the scene Wednesday to investigate the case, Coleman said.

“We expect to be working on this throughout the afternoon,” he said.

According to Coleman, the man who called police said he had gone to Kingsbury’s house with a woman for a social gathering hours earlier and had been drinking when the two men started to argue. A window was broken and the caller suffered injuries to his face from broken glass during an ensuing altercation, he said.

The caller, who Coleman did not identify, had gone to his truck outside and was sitting in it when Kingsbury allegedly fired two shots in his direction from the house. A little while later, when the man went back to the front door of Kingsbury’s home, Kingsbury allegedly threatened to shoot him, Coleman said.

The man called police a short time later, around 2:10 a.m., he said.

Coleman said Southwest Harbor Police Department, Southwest Harbor-Tremont Ambulance and Tremont Fire Department went to the scene.

The standoff occurred at a spot a few yards down the road from where another December social gathering ended in violence seven years ago. In December 2001, Zachary Savoy, 25, was beaten and stabbed to death after socializing and then getting into a late-night fight with Edwin Graham in another rental property adjacent to the construction company. Graham, now 32, was convicted of manslaughter and sentenced to 30 years in prison with all but 18 years suspended.



Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like