Tonight’s All Choral Concert at Stearns High School of Millinocket is the first of what Katahdin Area Chamber of Commerce officials say is a series of events over the next two weeks aimed at making this holiday happy.
The Chamber is among 21 event organizers and sponsors that have a party, supper, parade or performance planned from now to Dec. 22. The group hopes to make every effort count, said Jennifer Olsen, business coordinator for the Chamber.
“It’s important to focus on what is positive in the Katahdin region at this time and so many people worked so hard to put this together — so many volunteers,” Olsen said Tuesday. “It’s not like some fully funded thing that we have so much cash to present. It’s individuals, small businesses and civic groups doing stuff that matters.”
Other holiday season events include:
– A public supper at the Northern Timber Cruisers, wreath lighting at Medway Middle School, Northlight Gallery Open House, and a public supper, parade of lights, bonfire and tree lighting in downtown Millinocket on Thursday.
The supper will be 4 to 6 p.m. at the Northern Timber Cruisers clubhouse in Millinocket. The parade starts at 6 p.m.
– A wreath lighting at Opal Myrick Elementary School in East Millinocket at 1:30 p.m. Friday and a dessert social and tree lighting at the East Millinocket municipal building from 4 to 6 p.m.
– A community Christmas party will be held at Stearns High School from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, with a Toys for Tots Public Supper from 4 to 6 p.m. at Medway High School, and a Toys for Tots wrestling benefit at 7 p.m. at Medway Middle School.
– The Millinocket Elks Lodge will hold a Senior Christmas Party at 1 p.m. Sunday, with Santa visiting the Medway Fire Department from 2 to 4 p.m.
– The American Legion Auxiliary will hold a public supper from 4 to 6 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 11. The All Band Concert at Stearns High School and the Band and Chorus Concert at Schenck High School of East Millinocket will follow at 7 p.m.
– On Sunday, Dec. 14, the Millinocket Elks Lodge will hold a Children’s Christmas Party at 1 p.m. and the First Congregational Church of Millinocket will present a Christmas cantata at 4 p.m.
– A Christmas concert will be held at Medway Middle School at 7 p.m. Dec. 22.
For a full listing of events and sponsors, go to www.katahdinmaine.com.