Glenburn rallies to help fire victims

Posted Nov. 20, 2008, at 11:22 p.m.
Last modified March 20, 2011, at 5:54 a.m.

GLENBURN, Maine — Efforts were under way Thursday to help a family of five that lost their home in a fire this week. One of the family members was badly burned.

Adam and Marcia Peterson, their children Bailey, 7, and Sophie, 1, and Marcia Peterson’s grandfather Daniel Dever were asleep at their Pushaw Road home when the fire broke out about 4:30 a.m. Tuesday.

Although all family members made it out alive, Dever suffered serious burns to about 40 percent of his body in the fire, which began in his bedroom, according to officials from Glenburn’s volunteer fire department.

After being taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center in Bangor for initial treatment, Dever was moved to the Burn Center at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston, where he remains this week, according to Nicole Tapley of Glenburn.

Tapley, the Petersons’ day care provider, and Beth Cottrell, Glenburn Elementary School guidance counselor, are heading an effort to raise money and other forms of assistance for the family, who lost most of their belongings in the fire.

Tapley said Thursday that in addition to money, fund-raisers hope to collect gift cards and other items that will help the family get back on its feet and make it through the holiday season.

Investigators from the State Fire Marshal’s Office have determined that the fire was caused by combustible material that came into contact with an electric baseboard heater, according to Glenburn fire Capt. David Braley.

Braley and Lt. Eric Strout said the family was lucky to survive the fire. There were no working smoke detectors in the home, which the family was renting.

The American Red Cross is working with the family, but more assistance is needed, Tapley said.

For information or to help, contact Tapley at 990-3557 or Cottrell at the school at 947-8447.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Bangor