Robbery suspects remain in jail

By Eric Russell, BDN Staff
Posted Nov. 17, 2008, at 7:25 p.m.

BANGOR, Maine — Two men who were arrested on Saturday for reportedly forcing their way inside a Bangor residence and demanding money at gunpoint made an initial court appearance Monday and were ordered held without bail.

Roger Cushman, 45, and Robert Taylor, 41, both of Orrington, will remain at Penobscot County Jail at least until a hearing on Dec. 3, according to Assistant District Attorney Alice Clifford.

The two men also each filed paperwork for court-appointed attorneys, she said.

According to a press release from Bangor police, Cushman and Taylor broke into a residence on Thomas Hill Road around 5 p.m. Saturday and threatened three people with firearms. No shots were fired, but police said the three victims were assaulted with the weapons. Their injuries were minor and did not require medical attention.

One of the victims called police while the two men were attempting to break in, and Officer Tim Shaw responded while Cushman and Taylor were still inside. Police have not released any details about whether there was an altercation, saying only that the two men complied with orders and were arrested. Police also have not released any further information about why the residence might have been targeted or if either of the alleged robbers knew any of the victims.

So far, the two men have been charged with Class A robbery, Class B aggravated assault and Class C criminal threatening. If convicted, they could face up to 30 years in prison.

Neither Cushman nor Taylor has a significant criminal history, police said.

http://bangordailynews.com/2008/11/17/news/bangor/robbery-suspects-remain-in-jail/ printed on November 28, 2014