Glenburn firefighters save mobile home, dog

Posted Nov. 12, 2008, at 10:23 p.m.
Last modified March 20, 2011, at 5:54 a.m.

GLENBURN, Maine — Firefighters posted an unusually quick response time Wednesday when they were called out for a chimney fire.

Members of the all-volunteer department usually respond to fire calls from all over the community.

On Wednesday, however, several of them already were at the station because they were getting ready to leave for a fire prevention education program at Glenburn Elementary School, Lt. Eric Strout of the Glenburn Fire Department said Wednesday.

That enabled seven Glenburn firefighters to be at the scene in less than three minutes, he said. They were joined at the scene by four firefighters from Hudson and three members of the G&H Ambulance crew.

According to Strout, fire crews were called to 1532 Pushaw Road about 12:20 p.m. after a pedestrian saw smoke coming a mobile home owned by Paul Jones but occupied by a caretaker.

When firefighters arrived, flames were beginning to erupt from the chimney and eaves of the roof, he said.

Because no one was home, firefighters had to break down a door to gain entry and to let out a dog that was inside, Strout said. He said a neighbor located the dog and tied it near the trailer so it would be there upon the caretaker’s return.

After extinguishing the fire, crews used positive air pressure to force smoke out of the trailer. Fire damage was minimal and there was no smoke damage, Strout said.

Strout said the cause of the fire was a buildup of creosote inside the chimney. He encouraged home-owners to make sure their chimneys are in good condition and well-maintained. The Glenburn Fire Department is one of several in the area that offers free visual inspections of chimneys. For more information or to schedule one, call 942-6118.

dgagnon@bangordailynews.net

990-8189

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Bangor