Vaccines to prevent seasonal influenza will be available at three public clinics in Bangor and Orono. Sponsored by the Bangor Region Influenza Coalition, the clinics also will offer the pneumococcal, or pneumonia, vaccine as well as information about heating assistance, health care and the Medicare Part D prescription drug pro-gram.
Public health officials recommend the following groups receive a flu vaccine for the 2008-2009 season:
• Children age 6 months through 18 years.
• People age 50 years and older.
• Residents of nursing homes and other chronic care facilities.
• Children and adults with chronic health conditions such as diabetes and lung disease.
• Pregnant women.
• Household contacts and caregivers of young children and of any individuals with chronic health conditions.
• Health care personnel.
Pneumococcal vaccine is recommended for adults over 65 and certain other groups. Typically it is given once, more of-ten only under specific circumstances.
Bangor area clinics have the following schedule:
• 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday, Oct. 21, Bangor Civic Center.
• 3 to 7 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 29, Orono Town Council chambers.
• 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 18, Bangor Civic Center.
The cost of the influenza vac-cine is $25. The pneumococcal vaccine will cost $45. Cash, checks and Medicare Part B will be accepted.
Additional flu vaccine clinics throughout Maine can be located online at www.flucliniclocator.org.