WINTERPORT, Maine — Cindy Hogencamp walked into the village to have breakfast Wednesday morning, and when she returned home, a fire truck was in her yard and thick dark smoke was billowing out from under the eaves of her roof.
In shock, and not knowing what to do, “I just got out of their way,” she said.
Hogencamp stood in her driveway stunned at around 11:30 a.m. as firefighters tried to put out the flames that were eating away at the home she shares with her five young children.
“The kids are all at school,” she said as tears streamed down her face. “I’ve got a dog in there. I haven’t seen him.”
Hogencamp, a single mother, has four girls and one boy, she said. The young children, 5-year-old twins, a 10-year-old, and a 13-year-old, were all in school in Winterport and her 15-year-old daughter was at Hampden Academy. Her dog’s name is Buddy.