County budget reduced by more than $200,000

Posted Oct. 08, 2008, at 12:20 a.m.
Last modified March 20, 2011, at 6:03 a.m.

DOVER-FOXCROFT, Maine — The nine-member Piscataquis County Budget Advisory Committee will get its first look at the county’s proposed 2009 budget at 6 tonight.

The proposed spending plan was not finished as of the commissioners’ meeting Tuesday, but it is expected to be ready for the committee.

“Everyone did a very good job of keeping their budgets tight,” Commissioner Tom Lizotte said Tuesday.

County Manager Mike Henderson said budget expenses would be about $200,000 to $250,000 lower than last year because the jail budget is now under state jurisdiction. Revenues also are expected to be lower than in previous years. The county received $4 million in 2007 and has received $1.4 million to date this year. In 2009, the county anticipates revenues of about $500,000.

There are no new positions in the budget, but it does include a 3 percent cost-of-living increase. In addition, some employees also will receive a step increase.

The commissioners on Tuesday voted to set aside $50,000 for contingency and another $50,000 for an operational reserve in the new budget. Although the audit has not yet been completed, the county expects to end the year with a surplus of about $380,000.

A public hearing on the proposed budget is set for Nov. 17.

Members of the Budget Advisory Committee are Marc Pomerleau of Wellington, Joseph DiAngelo of Greenville Junction, David Cookson of Guilford, Russell Page of Bowerbank, Judy MacKinney of Dover-Foxcroft, Gail Stutzman of Sangerville; Terry Knowles of Brownville, Gerald Brown of Milo and Mary Downs of Sebec.

dianabdn@verizon.net

876-4579

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Mid-Maine