Hartland fire leaves family without home

By Sharon Kiley Mack, BDN Staff
Posted Oct. 03, 2008, at 11:45 p.m.

HARTLAND, Maine — A Hartland family is homeless today after losing their two-story, lakeside home to fire Friday afternoon.

Robert Merservey, his wife and young daughter were not home when the fire broke out at their year-round residence on Great Moose Drive, just across from the public boat launch on Great Moose Lake.

Hartland Fire Chief Donald Neal said smoke was pouring from the eaves of the home when firefighters arrived shortly after 2 p.m. A neighboring camp owner had reported seeing smoke and Neal said that by the time firefighters were able to get out of the trucks, the house was in flames.

β€œIt had been going for quite a while before it was noticed,” Neal said.

The home was a total loss, according to Neal, who said the Merserveys were insured.

Hartland was assisted at the scene by St. Albans firefighters and mutual aid was provided by Corinna and Canaan fire departments. No one was injured fighting the fire, he said.

http://bangordailynews.com/2008/10/03/news/hartland-fire-leaves-family-without-home/ printed on March 24, 2017