HARTLAND, Maine — Fire crews from this Somerset County town were called Thursday to their third fire in five days.
After battling blazes on Sunday and Wednesday, Hartland firefighters were called this time to the Robert Meservey residence on Great Moose Drive.
According to Fire Chief Donald Neal, Meservey called the Fire Department about 3:45 p.m. The homeowner had been working outdoors and upon entering his home, found it filled with smoke. He was unable, however, to spot any flames.
Initially, neither could firefighters.
With the help of a thermal imaging camera, however, firefighters tracked the fire to the interior of a dining room closet. There they found a small fire smoldering in some wiring.
They had to remove several tongue and groove boards from inside the closet to reach the fire, which then was extinguished within a matter of minutes, Neal said. He said the fact that the fire was inside a closet, and therefore starved for oxygen, prevented it from spreading more quickly.
“We caught it just in time,” he said.
Once they got to it, firefighters put the fire out within a matter of minutes using a fire extinguisher, Neal said. He estimated damage at a couple of hundred dollars.
Neal said firefighters from Hartland were assisted by their counterparts from St. Albans.