NEWPORT, Maine — The second story of a home on Old Bangor Road was destroyed Tuesday morning when a fire that began in a mattress apparently spread to the rest of the upstairs.
Newport Assistant Fire Chief Jeff Chretien said the fire began in a child’s bedroom at the Corey and Amy Carson home. The State Fire Marshal’s Office was sending an investigator to the scene later Tuesday.
“The upstairs is a total loss but the downstairs is in pretty good shape,” Chretien said. He said the fire was reported by a family member who was at home at the time the fire was discovered.
The family will be unable to stay in the home until repairs are made, Chretien said, and the Red Cross has been notified. He said the family is insured.
No one was injured, Chretien said. Newport was assisted at the scene by Etna, Corinna and Plymouth firefighters.