June 22, 2018
Hancock Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Pride | Maple Syrup

Ferry receives bomb threat

Contributed | BDN
Contributed | BDN
By Bill Trotter, BDN Staff

BAR HARBOR, Maine — The Cat ferry was delayed for several hours Thursday morning from leaving for Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, after police received a threat that a bomb was on board the boat.

Passengers said they already had boarded the ferry with their vehicles for the planned 8 a.m. departure when they were told they had to drive back off again. Local police said they believe the threat, which was made by a 911 phone call, originated in Bar Harbor.

Besides local police, the Coast Guard and Maine State Police responded to the threat.

All passengers and their vehicles were brought back off the boat, with the vehicles parked behind a closed gate next to the ferry terminal. Passengers were allowed to stay with their vehicles in the parking lot as police searched each one with explosive-sniffing dogs.

Jack Muth, 67, of Timonium, Md., was among a small group of motorcyclists who already had driven their bikes on board when the threat came in. He and the others sat at a picnic table in the shade at the edge of the fenced-in parking area as police searched each

car, truck, recreational vehicle and motorcycle.

Muth said the threat likely would not affect his plans in Canada, but that he was hoping to get to Halifax, N.S., before it got dark around 7 p.m..

“I’ve never been to Nova Scotia, so I’d like to see it [in the daylight],” he said. “[The police and ferry staff] are doing their best. When you ride a motorcyle, you have to be flexible.”

Police cleared the scene around 11 a.m., allowing the passengers and their vehicles back on board and the ferry to depart for the three-hour journey to Yarmouth.

The Bar Harbor Police Department was planning to release a press statement on the incident later Thursday.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like