BREWER, Maine — Brewer Days: A Hometown Celebration will offer plenty of good old-fashioned fun, including a pig roast, fireworks and children’s activities Friday and Saturday, Sept. 5-6.
Events will include the first Brewer Days Car Show on Saturday, sponsored by Boy Scout Troop 15.
The schedule is:
Friday, Sept. 5
• Third annual pig roast and family barbecue, 5-7 p.m. at the Brewer Auditorium.
• Announcement of Citizen of the Year, New Business of the Year and Business of the Year, 6:15 p.m., Brewer Auditorium. Mayor Manley DeBeck will make the announcement.
• Brewer High School football game — Brewer vs. Skowhegan — 7 p.m. Doyle Field.
• Family street dance and block party with music by Dana Wilson, 7:30-10 p.m. in the auditorium parking lot.
• Fireworks, 9:15 p.m., launched in the vicinity of Brewer Auditorium.
Saturday, Sept. 6
• Brewer Kiwanis Club pancake breakfast, 7-9:30 a.m., Brewer Auditorium. $4, $2 children.
• Fourth annual Brewer Days Family Fun Run and Road Race, 8:15 a.m., Sunset Park. Pre-registration is encouraged at Brewer Recreation Department office. $5, $15 family.
• Brewer Historical Society Museum open 9 a.m.-1 p.m., Clewley Museum, 199 Wilson St. Old-fashioned lemonade will be served, along with molasses cookies and sugar cookies. Tours of the museum will be available.
• First Brewer Days Car Show, 9 a.m.-3 p.m., Twin City Plaza Parking Lot, sponsored by Boy Scout Troop 15. Awards at 2:30 p.m. for top three places in categories: Antiques up to 1949; Best of the 1950s; Best of the 1960s; Best of the 1970s; Best of the 1980s; Best of the 1990s to present; motorcycles; trucks; People’s Choice Award. Those attending will be the judges. Registration fee $5 per vehicle, check-in 9-11 a.m. Music, food. Proceeds benefit Boy Scout Troop 15 and the Brewer VFW.
• Brewer Police Department bicycle auction, 9:30 a.m. at the auditorium parking lot.
• Children’s activities, 10 a.m.-2 p.m., auditorium parking lot. Pony rides, face painting, slide, dunk tank, games.
• Freedom, country rock band, 10:30-11:30 a.m. on the auditorium parking lot stage.
• Fall Cook-off entry deadline, 11 a.m., auditorium. Categories: apple dessert and homemade pickles.
• Children’s pie-eating contest, 11:30 a.m., auditorium.
• J.D. Bros., acoustic light rock, noon-1 p.m., parking lot stage.
• Cook-off results announced, 12:30 p.m., auditorium.
• Children’s Money Grab, 1-1:45 p.m., auditorium stage.
• Brewer Hometown Band, 1:30-2:30 p.m., parking lot stage.
• Family obstacle course challenge, 2 p.m., Doyle Field. Three family members get down and dirty.
• Giant water slide with the Brewer Fire Department, 2:30-4 p.m. at Doyle Field.
• Free public skate, 4-6 p.m., Penobscot Arena, Acme Road.
Sponsors of the Brewer Days activities are Trans-Tech Industries, Brewer Federal Credit Union, Brewer Wal-Mart Supercenter, Cumulus Broadcasting, Bangor Daily News, US Cellular, Brewer Youth Hockey, Brewer Boosters Club, Brewer Kiwanis, The Maine Edge and area businesses who donated items for prizes.