Slain girl’s exhumation still uncertain

Posted July 26, 2008, at 12 a.m.
Last modified Jan. 28, 2011, at 12:09 a.m.

EAST MILLINOCKET, Maine – Pamela McLain had yet to hear Friday night from renowned forensic pathologist Dr. Michael Baden about whether he would advise pursuing the exhumation of her slain daughter’ s body in search of new DNA evidence.

Not that McLain was complaining. She said she trusted the doctor would contact her when his review was complete, and once that happened she would relay his findings.

Baden is reviewing paperwork provided by Deputy Attorney General William R. Stokes to determine whether examining the body for DNA evidence would help solve the 28-year-old slaying. He began his review late last month, amid handling other cases. He said he hoped to reach a decision by Friday.

A grass-roots organization, the Justice for Joyce Committee has raised more than $18,000 to pay Baden’ s expenses, McLain said.

Joyce McLain, a 16-year-old Schenck High School sophomore, was killed sometime around the night of Aug. 8, 1980. Her body was found two days later in a power line clearing near the school. Her head and neck had been struck repeatedly with a blunt object. The investigation remains open.

SEE COMMENTS →

View stories by school

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Sports